This cake is all ❤ . Literally. This strawberry studded cake looks like a fleet of hearts.
In Delhi, we only get strawberries for a few months during the winters, so I need to make the most of it. It’s almost stressful when my mother gets me boxes of these berries, and then I know I have to do justice to them or else I will end up feeling miserable.
This cake is a Martha Stewart jewel, as are most of my cakes, including my go-to banana bread recipe.
If you have friends and family who don’t like frosted cakes. This is a great option! It gives you a fruity tartness from the berries and the ever comforting vanilla sponge cake at the bottom.
So without further ado, below is the recipe – inspired by Martha Stewart.
Here’s what you need (all ingredients need to be at room temperature):
- 85g Salted Butter
- 1 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Cup Sugar + 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries – halved
What you need to do:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, and line and butter an 8inch cake tin
- Sift together the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt
- Place the Butter and Sugar in a stand mixer and beat on medium speed for about 4 minutes until really pale and fluffy
- Once the Butter and (1 Cup) Sugar is all fluffed up, crack in the Egg, followed by Vanilla Extract until its well incorporated
- Now, in basically three steps we need to alternate and put in the Flour Mix and the Milk, in a way we end up adding the remaining flour at the end.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mix – then 1/2 of the milk – 1/3 of the flour mix – then the remaining half of the milk – ending with the last 1/3 of the flour mix
- Do not over mix – just fold it will everything is incorporated and there are no dry lumps of flour
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake tin
- Now, remember those halved strawberries? Arrange the strawberries on top of the batter with the cut sides facing up.
- Once the strawberries are arranged – Sprinkle the reserved 2 Tablespoons of Sugar on top and bake till golden.
- It takes about 10 mins at 180 degrees then lower the temperature to 170 for another 30-40 mins.
Eat it with a hot cup of coffee or in bed 🙂